Cheesy gnocchi with rich sage butter and Kroon Gouda Mild
Serves: 4-6 People | Preparation time: 30 minutes - Cooking time: 10 minutes
These light potato and cheese gnocchi are served with delicate sage, pungent pine nuts and grated creamy Kroon Edam Mild cheese. Finish with a mixed leaf salad for a perfect lunch or dinner dish.
|Ingredients for the gnocchi
– 400g (14oz) Floury potatoes, such as Sebago or Dutch Cream potatoes
– 400g (14oz) Sweet potatoes
– 400g (14oz) Kroon Maasdam cheese, grated
– 1 Medium egg yolk
– 1tsp Salt
– 175g (6oz) Plain flour
– 125g (4oz) Kroon Gouda mild, grated
|For the sage butter
– 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
– 12 fresh sage leaves
– 25g (1oz) pine nuts, toasted
Extra grated Kroon Gouda mild
1. Peel and cut the potato into 5cm (2″) chunks. Place in a pan of lightly salted boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain, return to pan and dry over a low heat for about 10- 20 seconds, to drive off any moisture. Mash until smooth.
2. Beat the egg, salt and Kroon Gouda Mild into the potatoes and gradually add the flour until you have a soft dough that is no longer sticky. Divide into 6 even sized pieces, on a lightly floured surface, then roll each lump into a sausage of 2.5cm (1″) wide by 20cm (8″) long. Cut each sausage into 8 pieces.
3. Bring a very large pan of salted water to the boil and drop in a third of the gnocchi and wait for them to float to the top – this should take about 3-4 minutes. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and place in a warm bowl. Cook the remaining gnocchi in batches.
4. Heat a large frying pan and add the butter and sage and cook until the butter is foaming and sage is crispy. Toss in the gnocchi.
5. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the pine nuts, with some extra grated Kroon Gouda.
You can freeze the gnocchi on a tray. When frozen transfer to a freezerbag and they can be cooked from frozen for another day. Alternatively try Kroon Maasdam cheese in this dish.