Sophisticated walnut and pear bruschetta with Kroon Edam
Serves: 6 People | Preparation time: 10 minutes - Cooking time: 20 minutes
This tasty bruschetta is combined with delicious watercress and walnut pesto and topped with slices of Kroon Edam. Perfect as a deliciously rich lunch or snack.
– ½ walnut loaf, cut into 6 x 1cm (½”) thick slices
– 75g (3oz) watercress
– 25g (1oz) walnut pieces
– 30ml (2 tbsp) walnut oil
– 1 ripe pear
– Juice ½ lemon
– 125g (4oz) Kroon Edam, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, 400ºF, Gas Mark 6. Place the watercress, walnuts and oil in a food processor and blend to a make a smooth pesto.
2. Arrange the walnut bread slices on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp.
3. Cut the pear into quarters, remove the core and cut into thin slices. Place in a bowl and sprinkle over the lemon juice.
4. Spread the watercress pesto over the base of the bread, top each with 3 slices of pear then top with the Kroon Edam cheese.
5. Return to the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown Cut each slice in half and serve garnished with watercress and a drizzle of walnut oil.
Assemble the bruschetta in advance, so they can just be popped in the oven when your guests arrive. Alternatively, cut the bruschetta in half to create bite-sized pieces for a tasty light snack. If you do not have a food processor, you can use a large pestle and mortar to grind the ingredients of the pesto. You could use Kroon Gouda Mild cheese as an alternative with this dish.